The Kiwanis Club of East Lansing is a service club chartered November 11, 1949, and devoted to improving the quality of life in our community, state, nation and worldwide. Some of the projects we sponsor are listed below.
- For over 51 years the club has sponsored scout troops for the mentally disabled
individuals at Beekman Center.
- The club sponsors an annual Easter Egg Hunt at the Patriarche Park on the day before Easter.
- The club also sponsors the World Kiwanis Relays at East Lansing High School on the first Saturday in May.
- In the fall the club sponsor a Children's Safety Festival to promote the health and well being of the children of our community.
- The club produces a City Directory that is distributed to newcomers to East Lansing.
- The club holds a welcome reception for the 4,000 foreign visitors who
come to East Lansing each year.
- Many members of the East Lansing Kiwanis Club also volunteer his or her time at local hospitals, the American Red Cross, Sports Booster Clubs, Meals on Wheels and the Capitol Area United Way.
- The club financially supports other activities and projects such as the
Boys & Girls State, Children's Miracle Network, Children's athletic
activities, Moore Living Center, the East Lansing Kiwanis Community Band, and more.
- In 1963 the club built and donated to the City of East Lansing a pavilion in Patriarche Park seating around 400 persons. In 1997, the club built a permanent barbecue pit for the annual Chicken Barbecue. This barbecue pit is available for use by the public while they are enjoying the Park.
To raise funds for these projects we engage in the following.
- The club holds an annual Chicken Barbecue every July in Patriarche Park.
- Club members serve as election inspectors.
- Gum ball machines are located in many businesses in the community.
- Contributions are sought from sources who wish to sponsor specific